My Favorite Music, Comic Arts, and Books | Con Artist Trickster

Music Monday: Best Cover Versions - Strawberry Fields Forever



It stroke me right away the first time I heard Strawberry Fields Forever in Anthology 2 album. John Lennon sang alone and the only instrument was his acoustic guitar, and the song "haunted" me. What I heard was just a home demo made by Lennon.

Then a couple of months later, I got Magical Mystery Tour album, I heard the full recording version of this song, and my head just exploded. The sound of the brass and string sections' wild and ambient play, plus the train-like drumming is so...I don't know...INTOXICATING. (Says who the song is not about LSD?) 



The Beatles was in the middle of their "brutal and wild" studio sound exploration at that time, and it made some of their songs have a surreal-twirling sound effect (including this number and others like Tomorrow Never Knows, etc.) and it's almost impossible to play those songs live with the same atmosphere. (As far as I know, The Beatles never played this song in their live performance.)

Many say that Strawberry Fields Forever is the best pop recording in music history. It is!

The Beatles






For the best cover version, I couldn't make my mind between these two, so I present both of them. (Another breaking-my-own-rule.)

The First one was by Richie Havens in his Woodstock '69 performance. He sang this song in a "simplified" version, but his fascinating raw voice make this simple version sounded big on the stage of Woodstock 69. (Too bad this video is "interrupted" by the credits.)

Richie Havens






The second cover version is by Cyndi Lauper, played in a tribute to John Lennon concert. With those strings instruments, her zither, and, off course, her gorgeous voice, she made a lovely performance and an adorable cover version of the song.

Cyndi Lauper






Those are my choices for this Music Monday. I really hope you enjoy them and if you have your own favorite cover versions of this song, I hope you wanna share about it here. Enjoy! And, Happy MM!




Come join Music Monday and share your songs with us. Rules are simple. Leave ONLY the ACTUAL LINK POST here and grab the code below and place it at your blog entry. You can grab this code at LadyJava's Lounge Please note these links are STRICTLY for Music Monday participants only. All others will be deleted without prejudice.


PS: Because of spamming purposes, the linky will be closed on Thursday of each week at midnight, Malaysian Time. Thank you!

Hope you enjoyed it. You may share it if you like.



Powered by Blogger.
 
Back to top Copyright © 2010 | Platinum Theme Converted by HackTutors Customized by BurNedBruNo