My Favorite Music, Comic Arts, and Books | Con Artist Trickster

A Belated Christmas Present: “Tim Burton’s Nightmare before Christmas - The Film, The Art, The Vision”



To begin with, Tim Burton’s Nightmare before Christmas: The Film, The Art, The Vision is a great book that shows all the artistic stuffs behind the birth of the greatest and the most artistic Christmas movie ever made, Nightmare before Christmas. I won’t give detailed information about the story of the film because I believe most—if not all—of you already know about it. (Well, if you don’t know yet, you can read it here.)

Nightmare before Christmas is a one-of-a-kind beauty, with an extraordinary artwork. It’s a stop motion animation movie that uses clay puppets as the actors and though I don’t know how many frames are there per second, I believe it took a long, long, tiring process for the crew to move the puppets and take the pictures. And how many faces should they make for each puppet of the characters to present all emotions and dialogues in the movie?



The characters in the story are so unconventional and definitely “un-Christmas-esque.” Like Jack Skellington, the prince charming of the Halloween Town who gets so bored of trick-or-treating business and wants to try something new as doing the job of Sandy Claws (Santa Claus). There’s also the Frankensteinish girl, Sally, the only person who understands Jack and foresees that Jack’s mission to “serve” Christmas will only cause a mess. There are still many others like the Halloween Mayor, the Evil Scientist, and of course Oggie Boogie.


The art in Nightmare before Christmas is fascinating, delicious if I may say. Though it’s directed by Henry Selick (Coraline), the taste of Tim Burton’s cinematographic style is still very apparent in the movie. It still shows the gothic nuance though not as haunting and gloomy as Sleepy Hollow or Edward Scissorhands, but in my opinion this film is a little bit darker than Corpse Bride.
The design of the characters and the environment of the Halloween Town are amusingly creepy. Of course nobody will address them as pretty, but they do look amusing (if not funny) and beautiful. And that’s what this book is all about. This book shows how each character and setting was built from scraps, literally, until finally they “acted” and are used in the filming process of the scenes.

There will be no end in discussing the artistic works and achievements of this movie, like the gorgeous catchy scores composed by Danny Elfman (Tim Burton’s Batman, Simpson theme) that are sang by the characters in the movie. It will be difficult to explain them all and the only way to catch all of those beauties is simply by watching the movie.
Frank Thompson didn’t write this book to present the wonderful magic of the movie. He wrote this book so everyone can see that the movie is a great artistic project. For me, Nightmare before Christmas is one of the most artistic movies I ever watch, and I wanna show it to you. That’s why I give this book as a (belated) Christmas present. So, enjoy!

DOWNLOAD THE FREE EBOOK HERE.
Hope you enjoyed it. You may share it if you like.



Responses

10 Respones to "A Belated Christmas Present: “Tim Burton’s Nightmare before Christmas - The Film, The Art, The Vision”"

onlinesmallnote said...

I have not watched the movie, so I will download the ebook. thanks


December 30, 2010 at 11:00 AM
Con Artist Trickster said...

Hope you'll like the book. But if you want to really "get the taste," I recommend you watch the film.


December 31, 2010 at 2:30 AM
Greg said...

I had forgotten all about that movie...Great animation, I'll have to revisit it. Hope your holidays were great!


December 31, 2010 at 6:21 PM
Con Artist Trickster said...

Thanks, I did have a great holidays.
And yes, you better revisit the movie, it's just awesome.


December 31, 2010 at 8:14 PM
Unknown said...

I still remember the muvee. it's a good one I think. happy holiday! (:

cheers,
kathy.


January 1, 2011 at 7:54 AM
Con Artist Trickster said...

No doubt you still remember it. It's hard to forget that one.

Cheers to you too!


January 1, 2011 at 10:08 PM
Anonymous said...

its a good movie ;)greetings from picxy


January 2, 2011 at 5:43 AM
Small Town Mommy said...

It is a great movie but I can't think of it as a Christmas movie. I think it is because I saw it well before Christmas when it first came out (Christmas didn't start in October back then). I know it is "about" Christmas but it is about so much more.


January 2, 2011 at 7:54 PM
Mandy said...

I absolutely love Tim burton and can't think of a film of his that I haven't loved. I love all the Nightmare Before Christmas merchandise too.


January 21, 2011 at 5:30 PM
Anonymous said...

My favourite animated movie of all time love it sing the songs all the time and I'm actually watching it now


September 12, 2014 at 12:10 PM
Powered by Blogger.
 
Back to top Copyright © 2010 | Platinum Theme Converted by HackTutors Customized by BurNedBruNo