My Favorite Music, Comic Arts, and Books | Con Artist Trickster

"Don’t Bogart That Joint My Friend!" (Superb Soundtracky Saturday)



“What a song, what a picture, what a credit title!” That instantly came to my mind (for the obvious reason: "Ah...That good old days"), when I watched Rhys Ifans’ Mr. Nice.

Paul Baines (the guy with lots of cool artworks at his site paulbaines.co.uk) mentioned this movie in one of his comments, and after sometimes (couple of months) I finally watched Mr.Nice about a week ago and it turned out to be one hell of a movie. So, I decided to do this Superb Soundtracky Saturday with one of the coolest songs (which makes it part of a soundtrack) and movie credit titles I ever seen.

I won't say much about the movie, but in short it's the life story of Howard Marks, an elite British drug smuggler. (You'll see lots and lots and lots of hashish and ganja here.) If you need more details of the movie, see it HERE.

I will elaborate a little more on the song, which I hear for the first time. Lead by curiosity that made me Google a bit further, I found the following info at The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia.
Don't Bogart Me (popularly known as Don't Bogart that Joint My Friend) is a song first published in 1968 and popularized in 1969 on the soundtrack of the film Easy Rider.

The slang term "bogarting" refers to taking an unfairly long time with a cigarette, drink, et cetera, that is supposed to be shared (e.g., "Don't bogart that joint!").

Lyrics: Lawrence Wagner
Music: Elliot Ingber
Played by Little Feat's Paul Barrere and Bill Payne with Phil & Friends.

The original version (on the soundtrack of Easy Rider) was by Fraternity of Man. It was subsequently covered by Little Feat.
P.S. In case the song “intrigues” you to sing a long (like it did to me), I give the lyrics too.


Don't bogart that joint, my friend
Pass it over to me.

Roll another one
Just like the other one.
This one's burnt to the end
Come on and be a friend.

Don't bogart that joint, my friend
Pass it over to me.

Ro-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-oll another one
Just like the other one.
You've been hanging on to it
And I sure would like a hit.

Don't bogart that joint, my friend
Pass it over to me.
Hope you enjoyed it. You may share it if you like.



Powered by Blogger.
 
Back to top Copyright © 2010 | Platinum Theme Converted by HackTutors Customized by BurNedBruNo